Dinorwic Quarry photography weekend. May 2022
Date... Fri 20th May till Sunday 22nd May 2022
Join me in late spring for an exciting 2-day landscape session in the stunning Dinorwic quarry in Snowdonia.
The general idea for the weekend is to spend as much time as possible exploring the quarry itself, but we will pop to a few other places near to our accommodation in Betws-y-Coed for sunset so that we can sit down and have a warm meal, then pop out for sunset.
The price includes 2 nights accommodation in the heart of Snowdonia, breakfast, all your tuition, a tour guide and the loan of filters for image-making.
The weekend caters for all levels of photographic experience.
As with all my workshops, attendees will be given the technical knowledge and opportunities to apply their new theory into practice including the use of filters for landscapes and long exposure work.
You will spend most of the time photographing the abandoned slate quarry. As we walk up to the quarry you will start by seeing views over the local Valleys, mountains, lakes and long winding roads. Then as we venture further into the quarry itself, every corner we turn and every level further up we hike, we will find more viewpoints, cave systems, waterfalls and some of the most epic views the local area has to offer.
During the weekend, I will continually be on hand to show give you ideas on the composition of the wide wide variety of locations and how to use polarising filters, graduated neutral density and neutral density filters, light painting, balancing light in high contrast scenes and using full neutral density filters to extend shutter speeds to enable you to blur moving water and clouds.
The workshop is limited to a maximum of 5 participants as this will ensure sufficient time for one to one time and group tuition is available. There will be me and an assistant on hand at all times to help you as well.
Early booking is advisable to secure your place.
During the weekend you will need to get yourself between locations, but we do advise carpooling to save fuel and will help arrange this.
What experience do I have as a tutor?
My experience comes off the back of many years of commercial photography while building up my own portfolio, time spent studying photography at university and running workshops for one of the countries biggest camera retailers and universities in the UK.
You also know you will be in good hands on the sessions with myself.
- Ambassadors for Formatt-Hitech filters, a UK based, yet one of the worlds largest landscape filter companies, fully support me in my work and pass on the knowledge of photography as I meet their high standards of excellence through my sessions.
- 5 years studying landscape and architecture photography to university master degree level with some of the best mentors and tutors the country has.
- I have picked up a few awards along the way and I have exhibited and been published worldwide, just check out my Shows and Awards page
- Over 7 years teaching and writing workshops for all levels and ages of photographers, including for the countries biggest photographic retailer Wex Photo Video.
This is an idea of what to expect and is dependent on the weather condition to maximize shooting potential.
- Check-in at the Guesthouse is available from 2 pm
- Meet and greet.
- sunset shoot starting at 4 pm in the mountains near to the Guest House.
- Breakfast Followed by early-ish start in Dinorwic quarry
- 4 pm approx we will depart the mountain to go get some dinner
- Sunset at Ogwen or Capel Curig
- Breakfast Followed by early-ish start in Dinorwic quarry
- Wrap up Garth Dderwen Guesthouse at 4 pm
Essential Equipment for participants
You will need to bring :
- Spare batteries
- Battery chargers
- Memory cards with sufficient space for Multiple days shooting
- Selection of lens. Wide and Tele but you need to be able to carry it all-day
- Lens cleaning kit
- Remote shutter release.
- Walking boots
- Hat and Gloves
- Spare Clothing
Please ensure you have suitable warm but breathable clothing and footwear. You are going to be hiking in an unforgiving region and the terrain will be undulating. The weather can turn very quickly so you will need to have appropriate clothing for the local climate. We cannot guarantee the weather and most of the locations will include walking on unmade possibly muddy pathways. If you have any questions or need any guidance with this, then please do feel free to email and ask.
Photography Ability Level
This workshop is suitable for all abilities from beginner to experienced photographer and you will need a moderate fitness level for this workshop as participants will be walking on undulating terrain.
Fitness/Walking Ability Level
The locations we are visiting are remote and take a fair amount of effort to get to. You are going to have to be able to carry your own camera equipment, waterproofs snack and fluids for the duration of the day. Hikes will be made up of large mountain paths, we will walk as a group but it is expected you will be capable of completing a full day walking at the pace of a mixed group of individuals. This is not a shoot from the car park workshop, you will be feeling bits of your body ache throughout the weekend, if you are unsure about the levels of fitness I have mentioned please do get in touch before booking.
You will be staying at the Garth Dderwen, a delightful detached Victorian Guest House located just two minutes walk from the centre of Betws-y-Coed, "the Gateway to Snowdonia" There is plenty of parking and each attendee will be allocated their own room unless you choose the twin room occupancy.
An early riser cold breakfast or hot porridge will be on offer each morning.
Lunches can be provided for a cost of £7.50 each per day. Please let us know of any special dietary requirements in advance.
What is not included
- Travel to and from the Guest House
- Travel while in Wales, we will help arrange carpooling.
- All food and drinks except breakfast on both days are at the participant's own cost. We will stop at a pub or cafe on both Saturday and Sunday in-between locations.
- Camera, personal accident, travel or vehicle breakdown Insurance
Please book early to ensure the event will go ahead and to support me in what I do.
If you would rather pay by bacs, please let me know and I will send you the details.
If you would like to pay a deposit to reserve a place, please let me know and I can arrange that for you.
If the workshop has to be cancelled due to Covid, a full refund or booking onto the alternative workshop date will be offered
Over 4 weeks prior to the event and you will receive a full refund.
Within the 4 week period prior to the event, we will unfortunately only be able to refund if we manage to fill your place with another participant.
I reserve the right to cancel the workshop due to adverse weather on health and safety grounds or low ticket sales.
A full refund or booking on the amended date will be offered in this case.