Snowdonia, landscape's with filters weekend. Spring 2020
Friday 6th March - Sunday 8th March 2020
New for spring 2020, exciting 2-day landscapes with filters weekend in the fabulous setting of Snowdonia National Park.
The price includes 2 nights accommodation, breakfast, all your tuition, the loan of filters and all of your travel as a group between the locations during the weekend.
The weekend caters for all levels of experience, from beginner to experienced.
Attendees will be given the technical knowledge and opportunities to apply your new theory into practice including the use of filters for landscapes and long exposure work.
You will be photographing Mountains, Valleys, discussed slate quarries, lakes, Waterfalls, long winding roads and much much more.
During the weekend, I will continually be on hand to show give you ideas on the composition of the wide wide variety of locations and how to use polorising filters, graduated neutral density and neutral density filters, balancing light in high contrast scenes and using full neutral density filters to extend shutter speeds to enable you to blur moving water and clouds.
The workshop is limited to a maximum of 5 participants as this will ensure sufficient time for one to one time and group tuition is available. There will be me and an assistant on hand at all times to help you as well
Early booking is advisable to secure your place.
What experience do I have as a tutor?
All-day while shooting we will be discussing the theory behind making work, what stands out and what sells, what makes a good image and how can we get that image we see into our cameras. This comes off the back of my many years of commercial photography experience and time spent studying photography as an art form. You know you will be in good hands on the sessions with myself.
- As the UK brand ambassador for Slik Tripods and also as one of the ambassadors for Formatt-Hitech filters, a UK based, yet one of the worlds largest landscape filter companies, they fully support me in my work and passing on the knowledge of photography as I meet their high standards of excellence through my sessions.
- 5 years studying landscape and architecture photography to Masters degree level with some of the best mentors and tutors the country has.
- I have also picked up a few awards along the way and I have exhibited and been published worldwide, just check out my Shows and Awards page
- I spent 5 years teaching and writing workshops for all levels and ages of photographers for the countries biggest photographic retailer Wex Photo Video.
This is an idea of what to expect and is dependent on the weather condition to maximize shooting potential.
Check-in at the Guesthouse is available from 3 pm, with a meet and greet at 4 pm followed by an optional sunset shoot near to the Guest House.
- Breakfast followed by Sunrise location shoot at Fairy glen
- Location shoot: Swallow Falls
- Location shoot: Lynn Idwall
- Location shoot: Ogwen & Tryfan for Sunset shoot and then have a pub dinner as a group
- Breakfast followed by Sunrise location shoot at Llyn Padarn (The Lone Tree)
- Location shoot: Dinorwic Quarry
- Location Shoot: Llanberis pass
- Wrap up Garth Dderwen Guest house at 4 pm
Essential Equipment for participants
You will need to bring :
- Spare batteries
- Battery chargers
- Memory cards with sufficient space for Multiple days shooting
- Selection of lens. Wide and Tele but you need to be able to carry it all-day
- Lens cleaning kit
- Remote shutter release.
- Walking boots
- Hat and Gloves
- Spare Clothing
Please ensure you have suitable warm but breathable clothing and footwear. You are going to be hiking in an unforgiving region and the terrain will be undulating. The weather can turn very quickly so you will need to have appropriate clothing for the local climate. We cannot guarantee the weather and most of the locations will include walking on unmade possibly muddy pathways. If you have any questions or need any guidance with this, then please do feel free to email and ask.
Photography Ability Level
This workshop is suitable for all abilities from beginner to experienced photographer and you will need a moderate fitness level for this workshop as participants will be walking on undulating terrain.
Fitness/Walking Ability Level
The locations we are visiting are remote and take a fair amount of effort to get to. You are going to have to be able to carry your own camera equipment, waterproofs snack and fluids for the duration of the day. Hikes will be made up large mountain paths, we will walk as a group but it is expected you will be capable of completing 1 hour non stop walking at the pace of a mixed group of individuals. As harsh as it sounds, the other members of the group have also paid for the experience to be there, so if you are unsure about the levels of fitness we have mentioned please do get in touch before booking.
You will be staying at the Garth Dderwen, a delightful detached Victorian Guest House located just two minutes walk from the centre of Betws-y-Coed, "the Gateway to Snowdonia" There is plenty of parking and each attendee will be allocated their own room unless you choose the twin room occupancy.
Cooked Welsh breakfast or early riser cold breakfast depending on photo opportunities. Lunches can be provided for a cost of for £7.50 each per day. Please let us know of any special dietary requirements in advance.
What is not included
- Travel to and from the Guest House
- All food and drinks except breakfast on both days are at the participant's own cost. We will stop at a pub or cafe on both the Saturday and Sunday in-between locations.
- Camera, personal accident, travel or vehicle breakdown Insurance
Over 4 weeks prior to the event and you will receive a full refund.
Within the 4 week period prior to the event, we will unfortunately only be able to refund if we manage to fill your place with another participant.
I reserve the right to cancel the workshop due to adverse weather on health and safety grounds or low ticket sales.
A full refund or booking onto the amended date will be offered in this case.
Please book early to ensure the event will go ahead and to support me in what I do.